Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Die Mensa

After class, I go to die Mensa, or the cafeteria, to eat. There are two cafeterias in Marburg: Mensa Erlenring and Mensa Lahnberge, and students can choose to eat at either of them. Our group typically meets at Mensa Lahnberge to eat together.

To eat at either cafeteria one must have a U Card, which functions must like a Blugold Card. One loads money onto the card and uses it to pay the cashier when one has chosen a meal.

There are also cafes and bistros available for students; however they tend to be more expensive than the cafeteria, which in my opinion, is very cheap.

The cafeteria generally has four or five main courses for students to choose from, which range in price from about 2.70-4.00 euros. Depending on what course one chooses, one can pick up to three sides to go with a main course. One can also take additional sides and pay more for them. Sides usually consist of salads, vegetables, soup, fruit, yogurt or some type of desert. Milk and juice also count as sides; however I have noticed that many students bring their own drinks or just do not drink anything with their meals.

The main courses at the cafeteria are generally some type of meat, although one vegetarian entree is always offered. I do not think that I have ever consumed so much meat on a regular basis in my life! If I am not eating a steak of some sort it is a sausage, meatballs, etc. Potatoes are also an every day occurrence. Image: Ashley, another University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire student, about to enjoy her lunch of sausage, mashed potatoes and sauerkraut.



Our group has a saying when eating in the cafeteria, “Jeden Tag ist Schnitzel Tag!” or “Everyday is schnitzel day!” Schnitzel is, in fact, offered every day, and is a safe choice when one does not feel too adventurous. Schnitzel is a piece of pork that has been hammered until it is relatively thin and deep fried. Often times it is served with some sort of sauce and fries. Image: My plate of schnitzel.


As much as I like the cafeteria, I can only eat there once a day. It is only open from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., so I have to make supper for myself. Some people in our group have started cooking together to save money. Generally we decide what we want to eat, agree on a residence hall and time to meet at and then every one brings something to contribute. So far this system has worked well and I enjoy cooking with my friends.

S.N.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sara! I'm enjoying reading your blog! Thanks for sticking to it and covering lots of details! Guess it's the mom in me, but it makes me feel good to hear about the friends you're making. :) FYI, I linked to your blog from a new "blogs" Web page on the UW-Eau Claire site (http://www.uwec.edu/newsreleases/blogs.htm). It's also linked from the Center for International Ed. site (http://www.uwec.edu/cie/sac/ProsStudents/Programs/Hessen/life.htm). The more readers we can get you, the better, right? Take care!

    ReplyDelete